Last updated on: May 23rd, 2019
Anyone running a design or craft business such as T-shirt printing or an interior décor studio will agree there is a lot of equipment to choose the best from.
However, when it comes to using a vinyl cutting machine that will do a perfect job, sometimes the search may take ages. Because you want to purchase a machine that can cut sheets, vinyl, and even mirrors with great precision, a day won’t be enough to find one that will satisfy your needs.
Thus, people keep asking, “Where can I find the best machine or who can recommend a vinyl machine?” The Cozyholic presents a dependable home vinyl cutter review to get you started.
First things first, what are some of the features to look for in the best personal vinyl cutter?
What You Should Pay Attention to When Buying Best Vinyl Cutter
The truth is, whether you are looking for the best entry level vinyl cutter or a professional vinyl cutter, the market has a lot to offer a serious a buyer. Being a leading buying guide website, we always strive to review as many features as possible so that no stone is left unturned.
We know you may have heard good stories about a cameo vinyl cutter, but does it bring everything you need in a machine to your workplace? Well, below, are some of the things you should pay close attention to when looking for the best vinyl cutter.
Types of vinyl cutter
We all have different preferences, so, when a DIY vinyl cutter isn’t going to impact what helps improve your design business, it won’t hurt to go for a heat press vinyl cutter or even a more modern version of it. There are three main types of decal cutters which most vinyl cutter machine reviews won’t tell you about, and they are:
The size of the material you want to cut is significant when choosing the best decal cutting machine. While most low-cost machines can cut up to a depth of 6 inches, they are only good for small business or home use.
However, if you need one that can cut up to 12-inches or more, it is imperative you consider your budget for an industrial scale monogram sticker machine.
Size of the Machine
Most vinyl machines replicate standard printers size-wise. It means, placing yours on a tabletop wouldn’t take much space. However, situations may dictate you go for something bigger.
Technology used in vinyl machines keeps upgrading, which means a designer, or a craft artist looking for this product on Amazon should keep up with the latest trends in vinyl manufacturing. Since its operation depends on instructions from a computer, a user should install the best vinyl cutting software.
Here, you must find out if your machine is compatible with a PC or MAC. Also, you should know if it comes with design templates or if you need to buy them at extra cost. A tech-savvy person using a decal cutting machine won’t have any problems updating the latest software.
So, it is really a question of choosing the right software, even if it means sticking with manufacturer-installed programs.
Range of Material that can be cut
Before purchasing the best vinyl cutter for small business, consider the materials you will cut and if you will use it for other materials than vinyl? With this in mind, material thickness should also be considered.
Wireless connectivity is one of today’s greatest features a gadget or a machine can have. When it comes to buying a vinyl monogram machine, it is one of the things to look out for, especially if you want to design with your phone, tablet, or laptop.
Today, hi-tech machines continue to take centre stage while manually controlled devices are becoming more obsolete. So, when looking for a vinyl monogram machine for clothing, buying something that has auto settings would help save time.
While you usually get what you pay for, not everyone can afford an expensive machine. However, there is a cheap vinyl cutter that delivers excellent performance, and we suggest you take a look if you are budget conscious.
At The Cozyholic, we advise buyers to consider cost, and purchase a unit which suits your needs and budget. We sample products with this in mind, so each buyer can find their perfect silhouette Vinyl cutter or Cricut vinyl cutter.
Warranty and Support
Here, you must ask if you are going to invest in the best vinyl cutter that cuts cards and other materials. Be sure to ask for warranty and product support if it is not straightforward.
The longer it is, the better because the manufacturer will take care of repairs and maintenance for a stipulated period of time.
Buyer’s guide and features
Now, that we’ve briefed you on the features to look for in a vinyl cutter, let’s take a look at the top vinyl cutter reviews so you do not have to settle for overrated products. We divided this into two parts, namely items under $300 and cutters for small business.
Best Vinyl Cutter Under $300
Considering everyone wants a product with the best vinyl cutter software, The Cozyholic factored in as a necessity to give buyers as many options as possible, including an affordable vinyl cutter that packs the best features and delivers exemplary performance, yet costs less than 300 dollars. Take a look.
Cricut Explore Electronic Cutting Machine
Cricut is an electronic company that has carved out a name for its niche of products in many ways. From cheap variants to items that exemplify the best quality.
The company’s Cricut Explore Electronic vinyl decal maker machine, even though it costs less than $300, it is arguably one of the best in this price range. So, what makes it outstanding?
Well, it presents the following features:
- It cuts over 50+ different types of material which makes it one of the most versatile Cricut vinyl cutting machine you will find on the market today;
- It comes with SVG files which means you will only have to upload them and proceed to cutting the desired shapes right away;
- Buyers also enjoy $100 worth of projects and images;
- It also has easy-to-use software which is free of charge, and has an option to upgrade;
- Shipping weight of 15.75 pounds;
- The item measures 25.4×9.2×10 inches.
We recommend this product because it won’t just make precise cuts, but also brings free DIY projects into your workspace such as scrapbooking and home décor tips.
- It has durable German carbide blades;
- Easy to use and intuitive;
- Features reinforced belts;
- The product has undergone rigorous testing for quality purposes.
- You cannot use it without an internet connection, not to mention, some people have complained of slow loading software.
Cricut Explore 2 Mint
Another Amazing product from Cricut is the company’s Explore 2 Mint. Rated above 4.0 on Amazon, this is one of the best personal vinyl cutter not only because of the price (under $300!), but because of the following:
- A top DIY-er that lets you make sticks, customize home décor, apparel, and greeting cards;
- It has a vast library where you can choose an image where you can upload your pictures – not to mention the double tool holder for writing, scoring, and cutting in simple steps;
- Precise cutting, thanks to a smart set of dials;
- With free to access and use of the Cricuit design App, you can work anywhere using a smartphone, tablet, or a computer;
- Bluetooth-enabled for wireless cutting functionality;
- It is fitted with premium carbide blades from Germany;
- Cuts 100+ different materials such as faux leather, adhesive foils, specialty papers, poster boards, iron-on-vinyl and more.
You may want to ask; why would The Cozyholic recommend this electronic vinyl cutting machine from Cricut? Well, it is compatible with Android and iOS making it a modern device everyone desires.
Also, its scoring stylus means it makes the best fold lines when designing cards, boxes, envelopes, 3D paper crafts, pinwheels, and more.
- It is affordable;
- Strong and affordable German carbide blades;
- 2x faster cutting and writing.
- The online design studio only lets you cut 6-inch by 9-inch.
Cricut Expression Electronic Cutting Machine
Cricut makes a wide-range of machines for cutting design materials. From a small vinyl cutter you can use anywhere to bigger variants, we present you the Expression Electronic cutting machine, another top of the line item in this best vinyl cutter review.
- Product dimensions: 25.8 x 9.5 x 12 inches;
- It ships with a shape cartridge, accent essentials mini shape cartridge and a platinum schoolbook font;
- Its cartridge does not depend on a computer;
- Bladed cut from 0.25 to 23.5 inches;
- The Expression features an easy to read LCD screen, either in landscape or portrait mode, not to mention 4 functions and 6 modes.
We recommend the best products on Amazon to our readers, and the reason why the Expression Electronic Machine makes it to this list is simple. It is the best vinyl cutter under $300 ideal for businesses that make scrapbooks, classroom décor, and signage among other projects.
- Shipping is a free certified frustration;
- Easy to use;
- It has limited cartridge options and also outdated when compared to modern variants with functions such as Wi-Fi.
Brother Electronic cutting machine, CM350, ScanNcut2, 4.85’’ LCD Touch Screen Wireless Network ready, 300 DPI Built-in Scanner, 631 Built-in Designs
Let’s pause a bit on the Cricut range of vinyl cutters and shift to another brand – the Brother electronic cutting machine CM350. Being one of the best rated on Amazon, it made it to this review for the following reasons:
- It lets you edit your design project on-screen;
- It is compatible with most, if not all Windows Operating Systems such as 8.1, 8.7, 10 and Vista;
- It has a larger scanning and cutting space, which is upgradable to 12×12 inches;
- Wireless connectivity such as Wi-Fi and wired connection via PC;
- The CM350 is fitted with a 300 DPI internal scanner turning images into an amazing and unique design output;
- The ScanNcut2 CM350 also has a large LCD screen measuring 4.85 inches for easy control;
- Measures 10.1 x 22.8 x 210.6 inches.
This cutter is recommended not just because it has 631 built-in designs but also because it has a builtin scanner that jests your design skills.
- It is an affordable high range vinyl sticker cutter;
- Lightweight at only 10.36 pounds;
- On-screen editing with up to 7 lettering fonts and 100 quilt patterns.
- It is not compatible with OS mobile devices.
Silhouette Cameo 3 Machine Bundle Vinyl Starter Bundle-25 Sheets Oracal 651 Permanent Vinyl wire Transfer Paper, tools, Vinyl Designs, PixScan Mat
Silhouette America is a company well-known for expertise, experience, and professionalism – especially when it comes to manufacturing top of the line products such as sticker making machines.
Our search for the best vinyl cutter landed us on the Silhouette Cameo 3, and its features were nothing short of impressive.
- It is wireless enabled;
- Compatible with different OS, both on mobile and computer devices such as Windows, iOS, Android, and Mac;
- It is PixScan compatible, not to mention it registers and cut materials;
- User-friendly, thanks to a variety of fonts, and can access design materials from the Silhouette Design store;
- Buyers can have access to in-house Cameo professional support;
- Weighs 14.25 pounds;
- Its dimensions are: 24x 9 x11 inches.
While Silhouette Cameo 3 is the last in our top five under $300, it would still beat many electric vinyl cutter on many fronts.
We not only recommend it because of the features, but also because it comes with 25 sheets of Oracal 651, 3 transfer papers, a toolkit, exclusive design files, guide, eBook, and PixScan mat
- It is easy to use;
- Top of the line affordable vinyl letter cutter;
- A wide range of design materials including a toolkit.
- Some buyers have complained about the slow response from Cameo support, not to mention outdated instructions.
Best Vinyl Cutter for Small Business: Buying Guide
If you are a small business looking for a designer material cutter, we understand sometimes finding the best one in a market flooded with counterfeits and different brands is painstakingly difficult.
The Cozyholic helps overcome this challenge by reviewing the best vinyl cut out machine to buy for your small business.
Silhouette Cameo 3 Bluetooth Starter Bundle with 26, Oracal 651 Sheets, Transfer Paper Guides, Class, Designs, 24 Sketch Pens and more
If you are looking for a good vinyl cutter, then the silhouette vinyl from one of the world’s best companies won’t disappoint due to the following:
- It is fitted with an auto adjustable blade to fit cutting material, not to mention a ratchet adjustment tool, scraper tool, vinyl trimmer, and hook tool;
- It comes with twenty-six Oracal 651 sheets measuring 12 x12 inches,, assorted sketch pens, and premium quality transfer tape measuring 12x 6 feet;
- Colored user manual guidebook from silhouette school with additional online Cameo 3 lessons;
- Free 1-month membership at Silhouette club, silhouette U, and access to other amazing packages;
- It features Bluetooth and a touch screen;
- Product dimensions are 24.1 x11.1 x 9.4 inches;
- Buyers enjoy 100+ exclusive designs that include vinyl ideas;
- It is compatible with Windows and Mac OS.
Small businesses need the best silhouette machine, and that is where the Cameo 3 with Bluetooth starter bundle comes into play.
It will not only let you undergo faster learning thanks to amazing user manual materials and a free 1-month cameo membership, but also because you won’t spend more when scaling the heights of creativity.
- Mid-range affordable silhouette vinyl machine;
- Bluetooth wireless connectivity;
- Enjoy Cameo 3 business bundle at no extra cost.
- Some buyers have registered displeasure with its cutting precision and slow Bluetooth connectivity.
Silhouette Cameo Electronic-Cutting Machine Vinyl Starter Kit Bundle
Buyers often ask; is there a mid-range vinyl letter printer that doesn’t cost a fortune yet delivers the best performance from Silhouette America?
Well, after going through frequent questions regarding the best silhouette cameo for the money, The Cozyholic brings to your attention, another amazing machine from Silhouette America.
The Cameo Electronic cutting machine is not just a good vinyl cutter with top best starter kits, but also presents the following features:
- 1-month free access to the silhouette download store;
- Latest touchscreen model for easy control;
- A cutting blade, a 12” x 12” mat, and a vinyl trimmer;
- It also comes with free software and design templates;
- Weighs 12.45 pounds;
- Dimensions are: 11 x 11 x 24 inches.
We recommend this product because it is not just the newest model on the market, but it is also an inexpensive vinyl cutter giving the best functionals. After all, everyone deserves the best cameo machine for the money.
- Mid-range affordable machine;
- Easy to use;
- A starter kit gives you unlimited chances of creativity.
- It does not support wireless connectivity.
Vinyl cutter USCutter MH 34in Bundle-Sign Making Kit w/design & Cut Software, Supply tools
USCutter is another company whose products made it to the review of the best vinyl cutters.
It manufactures wide-ranging cutters including a heat transfer vinyl machine, which even though has been around for ages, still fits into the needs of millions of people who want to scale the heights of design and artwork.
The Cozyholic settled on the USCutter MH because it has some of the most incredible features such as:
- Three adjustable pinch-rollers which you can use it to cut many different materials;
- It comes with magnetic blanks, transfer tapes, vinyl rolls, knife, and squeegee;
- Buyers enjoy lifetime phone support;
- Blades are Roland compatible and saves you money;
- It also features a superior ball-bearing dual roller;
- Media roller system;
- Steeper motor;
- It is compatible with windows;
- Cuts material up to 30.63 inches deep and 96 inches long;
- Shipping weight is 51 pounds.
- Enjoy a cutting adventure;
- Top quality machine for a graphic design business;
- Durable blades.
- The USCutter MH is not compatible with iOS and Mac. Also, it doesn’t cut contours and materials such as laminate, tint, low and high-intensive reflective materials, and sandblast resistant.
Cricut Maker, Champagne
A question of what is the best Cricut machine for cutting vinyl is often many-sided because there are many models on the market. We considered one of the best Cricut machine to buy: the Cricut Maker.
The question is, “What does it bring to your design workspace?”
- It comes fitted with powerful blades, not to mention other expandable tools such as a scoring tool and pen to help you grow in the design business;
- A rotary blade that glides easily into material for easy rolling cutting action;
- Convenient design from mobile devices or a computer;
- It lets you upload your own design materials such as images and free fonts;
- A docking slot for holding a smartphone or tablet;
- Easy sewing and quilting, thanks to tons of digital sewing templates from which you can choose the best;
- It weighs 23.7 pounds.
This machine is recommended for those who want to experience freedom in designing anything. From paper crafts, vinyl decals, iron-ons, leather crafts, sewing to balsa modeling, you have all the power in your hands.
- The Cricut Maker allows for design flexibility and customization;
- It is affordable;
- Simplified sewing;
- Cuts heavy materials.
- Issues with poor buyer support and sometimes slow software loads.
USCutter Bundle 28’’ SC2 Vinyl + 15 x15 Heat Press Htv Sign Vinyl
The final product is the USCutter SC2 Bundle 28-Inch machine. You may want to compare it with any good laser vinyl cutting machine on Amazon, but here is what we know following a comprehensive test of its functionalities:
- Quiet operation;
- The SC2 is fast and comes with upgraded components;
- The package includes a VinylMaster Cut (Cut and design software, stand, and roller bars);
- A sign vinyl, Roland blades, and heat transfer vinyl are also included;
- Shipping weight: 121 pounds;
- Windows PC compatible;
- It makes 90-degree cuts.
The Cozyholic recommends the SC2 USCutter because of its cutting-edge vectorization software, which is arguably the best on the market today. You will also fall in love with its Spool function.
- Amazing image and text editing tools;
- It is compatible with most image formats;
- Suitable for signage.
- The SC2 is quite heavy hence limited portability, not to mention it is not compatible with iOS and Mac.
What is the best vinyl cutter?
While everyone deserves the best vinyl cutter, we must also admit each product has its limitations. Thus, you must consider the available options before purchasing a costly item.
If you are looking for a short answer for, “What is the best vinyl cutter?”, we suggest you decide between these two:
- The Cameo 3 Bluetooth Starter Bundle with 26-Oracle 651 sheets and starter kits qualifies as the best commercial vinyl cutter. It is compatible with almost every operating system, includes a colored guidebook, and a Cameo membership, so you can master the machine;
- The Cricut Explore 2 Mint has everything you will need in a personal machine, including design apps, ability to cut 100+ materials and much more!