Last updated on: May 28th, 2019
Knives have a long history that dates back to the Stone Age when humans were becoming more inventive by the day. Today knives come in all possible shapes, designs, have different blade type, and can be used for all manners of things. Of course, durable knives are more favored, but there is no chance you can get a good knife without the right information.
This review by The Cozyholic aims to help you choose the best camping knife for your needs. If you are an outdoor enthusiast, you should know what this is all about. If you are seeking expert advice, and ultimately, some product recommendations, you have to understand the following before taking a leap further into the review:
- Camping knives (also known as survival knives) are multi-purpose and are good for preparing food in campsites, cutting small branches, peeling fruits, etc.
- Whether you are a trekker, a hiker, a camper, or a survivalist, you need a carbon steel blade camping knife. Continue reading our review to find out why.
- You also need this tool to cut paracords, rope, whittle etc. You can even carve small wooden tools with it!
So where do you turn to if you want to get a good camping hunting knife?
Well, there are many cutting tool reviews on the Internet, but when it comes to getting the best product, you should start by researching independent, reliable, well-researched, and up-to-date information on knives for campers. That is where we, The Cozyholic, a top product review website, come into the picture. We provide all the information you need regarding the top knife brands and models on the market, including pricing and features so you choose the best product.
Before we proceed to the reviews, let’s take a quick look at the features to look for in the best camping knife. We care for our customers, and we want you to be as well-informed as possible before you make a purchase.
Buyer’s guide and features: What You Should Pay Attention to When Buying best camping knife.
Technology used in various indoor and outdoor cutting gear vary from one company to another. The Cozyholic considers the most common FAQs and gives clear, understandable, and straightforward answers, directions, and guidelines on products we review.
Below you will find a list of features every buyer should pay attention to when choosing the best camping knife on Amazon:
Types of Camping knives
Are you looking for a fixed blade or a folding blade knife? Also, which is the best, and for what purpose? Well, let’s put this into perspective.
It is easy to use knives with fixed blades, and they are generally more resistant to hardcore tasks, but fail the test of portability in many instances. On the flipside, knives with foldable blades are easy to carry but are somehow less resistant to tough jobs, and users often complain about poor articulation.
Whether you are looking for a blade made of alloy, steel, or ceramic – flexibility is always a big concern. When measuring hardness, look at the carbon content. Chromium, on the other hand, is resistant to corrosion, which means the item will serve for years. Knives with Rockwell hardness values between 52 and 66 are strong, thus tend to last long even when subject to tough use.
However, when you opt for ceramic blades, it is imperative to check out the purity value, with the optimal being 95%. Take care not to use such blades on tough materials.
Blade with Straight or Toothed Cutting Edge
Toothed blades are most suitable for cutting rope or sawing wood, but require professional handling, especially with sharpening. On the other hand, straight blades are the most popular since they are easy to handle even without expert advice, especially when they are sharp.
The Type of Handle
The handles you will find in camping knives vary. From smooth to contoured/patterned, and pommels to sleeves. It is always about choosing a comfortable grip that guarantees maximum safety.
The Silk Used
Silk definition has to do with sharpness beyond the sleeve. Thick silk equals sharp knives, usually referred to as full silk equivalent to the length of the blade.
Think before buying a bigger knife, what do you need it for? While long-bladed items are versatile and balanced, they are not as sturdy and easy to store and carry as short ones.
The weight of a camping knife or any other type of knife is directly proportional to its size. In the end, it is always about finding the best compromise because this is how you achieve balance, easy handling, and maneuverability in the blade you choose.
Knife casings come in different shapes, designs, and materials. While some manufacturers do not include this accessory, it is imperative to ask if it is available in the first place. A good case should be strong like those made of leather, and also waterproof. Notably, some sheaths come with a lighter and/or a blade sharpener – accessories that make the life of any camper a lot easier.
Best camping knife
Here at The Cozyholic we always try to do our best so buyers see the whole picture of the products they are considering to purchase. To complete this review of outdoor knives, we searched around Amazon and put together a solid list that will be helpful for anyone who likes spending time outdoors. Here, you will find reviews of top-quality strong knives that every hunter, fisher, camper, or any other outdoor enthusiast will find useful in their activities.
We have also considered the differences in buyers’ tastes and preferences – all you need to know, you will find in the reviews below. So without further ado, let’s take a look at the best camping knives we’ve found on Amazon!
Product Reviews: List of products.
Morakniv Companion Fixed Blade Outdoor Knife with Sandvik Stainless Steel Blade 4.1-Inch
Shoppers who have been buying items from Amazon can attest that sometimes finding the best product on a giant retail platform can be a hassle. Unless you already have some brand or a model in mind, it may take ages before you can find an ideal campers knife. We start off with one of the most popular brands, and that is Morakniv.
As a company that continues to impress with its wide range of cutting tools, we were astounded with the Morakniv companion fixed blade camp knife. It has some of the best features such as:
- It has a versatile 12C27 multipurpose stainless steel blade.
- A sheath with a belt clip, which matches its color.
- Blade measures 4.1 inches.
- Thickness of the blade: 0.1 inches.
- Total length: 8.6 inches.
- The knife weighs 4.1 ounces.
- Comfortable and strong grip, thanks to a patterned and high-friction handle.
- The Morakniv companion fixed blade knife comes with a lifetime product warranty, courtesy of the manufacturer.
If you are looking for the best survival knife with a strong thick blade, high-performance, and razor sharp, we don’t hesitate to recommend the Morakniv companion any day.
- Razor-sharp straight of out the box.
- It is resistant to corrosion.
- Use it to tinder wood for a campfire, chop small branches, skin and fillet food, and curve small tools.Use it to tinder wood for a campfire, chop small branches, skin and fillet food, and curve small tools.
- No information about a money-back guarantee.
Opinel Carbon Steel Folding Everyday Carry Locking Pocket Knife
Anyone who has tried Opinel’s knives will agree they do not only present buyers with exceptional simplicity but also feature a great camp knife design you will not find in other brands. We wanted to make sure our buyers have the right information on this product, and after rigorous research, we’ve found the following:
- Carbon steel blade.
- The Opinel Locking Pocket Knife handle is made of beech, a hardwood that gives it a strong grip and durability.
- There is also the Joseph Opinel brand mark of quality, a crown hand, which also indicates the origin of this amazing tool.
- It has a Virobloc safety ring, in which one is fixed, and the other slides.
- The product warranty covers normal wear and tear, as well as manufacturing defects.
At The Cozyholic we recommend this knife for many reasons. Apart from being the best all-purpose knife among many in the market, it is simple, sturdy, efficient, not to mention its unmatched design remains untouched since 1890, the year it was invented. It is both suited for outdoor and kitchen use.
- Carbon steel means it is resistant to wear and tear.
- Safe handling enhanced by a Virobloc ring.
- Supreme wooden handle.
- If you are looking for the best camping knife with a wide blade, you should consider other options than the Opinel Locking Pocket Knife.
Gerber Bear Grylls Ultimate Knife, Serrated Edge (31-000751)
There are many knives for camping on Amazon. Since we also had to factor in design features, the Gerber Bear Grylls is something we will eagerly recommend. It is simple, yet a high-performance product for the following reasons:
- The handle features a rubber texture, which is ergonomic for safe handling and a strong grip.
- It has a pommel base (stainless) used for hammering.
- If you need something for cutting rope and with high edge retention, the Gerber Bear Grylls is a serrated drop point stainless knife that will not disappoint.
- It weighs 15.2 ounces.
- Dimensions: 13 x 5.5 x 2.2 inches.
- It comes with a nylon sheath and a user guide.
This knife will make a perfect tool for those who are in need of something simple for tough camping environments as it withstands most climatic conditions.
- Affordable, high-quality knife.
- Long-lasting, thanks to stainless carbon steel blade.
- Resistant to rust conditions.
- High-edge retention.
- The Gerber Bear Grylls is not a full tang knife.
Victorinox Swiss Army Swiss Champ Pocket Knife
The truth is, good pocket knives are hard to come by unless you make the most of top product guide websites like The Cozyholic. Features in the best hiking knife vary depending on the manufacturer. After trying the Victorinox Swiss Army SwissChamp pocket knife, we were convinced beyond any reasonable doubt that it presents a good alternative to buyers.
Here are its features:
- Blade length: 2.45 inches.
- It weighs 1.6 ounces.
- Stainless steel blade.
- It has up to 33 functions including scissors, bottle opener, pliers, screwdriver, corkscrew, and many other add-ons.
- It comes with a lifetime product warranty, courtesy of the manufacturer.
- Size: 58mm.
- It is made in Switzerland.
With up to 33 functions in one pocket knife, there is no reason why you should not put money on this item. It is not only a good camping knife but also ideal for indoor tasks.
- Original Swiss Army Knife design.
- It is quite expensive.
Spyderco Tenacious Plain Edge Folding Knife, Black/Black
Spyderco is another brand of popular pocket knives that caught our attention. We’ve compared it with other knives, and here are the features you have to look into:
- Total length: 7.76 inches.
- G-10 laminate handle.
- Stainless steel blade.
- Blade length: 3.39 inches.
- Dimensions: 6 x 1 x 1 inches.
- Fold height: 4.45 inches.
- It also features a thumb hole.
Short and thick knives are said to be strong, and we can’t agree more. The Spyderco is strong and durable while giving buyers maximum efficiency when in use.
- Razor-sharp out of the box.
- Ergonomic G-10 handles for strong grip and safe handling.
- Despite that it is a supreme quality and one of the best fixed-blade knives in the market, some buyers do not approve of chinese products.
Ka-Bar BKR7 –BRK Combat Utility
As the name suggests, BRK7 is a combat utility knife that everyone should have. Founded in the1980’s by Ethan Becker, a hunting enthusiast who also enjoyed partaking in commercial arts, and among other wide-ranging outdoor activities. This is one of the many good pocket knives that continue to carry on the legacy of its founder.
It is one of Becker’s top five best selling models, and many users have reported its design is simply phenomenal. Apart from the aforesaid, the BRK7 has some other amazing features:
- It is lightweight at 0.85 pounds shipping weight.
- Handle made of Grivory.
- Blade length: 7 inches.
- Blade made of Cro-Van-Steel.
- A glass fiber nylon handle.
- Edge sharpening angle: 20 degrees.
An all-utility combat knife is worth the money, and that is why the BRK7 is not only a tactical grade knife recommended to anyone, but also the toughest knife for survivalists and soldiers.
- Supreme industrial grade quality.
- Sharp straight out of the box and ready for use.
- Comfortable grip.
- The price tag of the BRK7 is quite high.
Buck Knives 192 Vanguard Fixed Blade Knife with Leather Sheath
Fixed blade knives by Buck are receive a lot of positive customer reviews and ratings on Amazon. While you may have come across one in most camping knife reviews on the web, we wanted to make its exceptional features clear even for someone who is choosing their first knife.
- It is a full tang construction featuring a deep coil help and finger guard.
- Smart and solid design.
- The handle is made of classic heritage walnut contoured for balance, maneuverability, and comfort.
- It comes with a leather sheath with secure belt loops.
- Proudly US-made since 1902.
- Buyers enjoy a lifetime warranty when they put money on the 192 Buck Knife.
We recommend this product to hunters and outdoor enthusiasts looking for a versatile woods knife handles.
- Razor sharp.
- Versatile with a drop point of 420HC.
- String and resistant to corrosion.
- High edge retention.
- Some buyers have expressed reservations with the cutting-edge finishing.
Benchmade –Bushcrafter 162 Knife, Drop-Point
Are you a bushcrafter looking for the best knife for camping and hiking but to no avail? The truth is, sometimes finding the best one from top camping knives stores like Amazon can be difficult and turn into a real hassle, and that is why at The Cozyholic, we always help buyers find what they are looking for fast and with great ease. We settled on the Bushcrafter 162 Knife from Benchmade for the following reasons:
- It is a utility-style blade with a great drop point.
- It features a fixed blade for strength and easy handling.
- Full-tang knife.
- Comes with a leather sheath featuring a d-ring and a belt loop.
- Greatly balanced stainless steel blade for supreme grip and cutting.
- Shipping weight: 12.8 ounces.
- Dimensions: 11 x 3 x 2 inches.
This product is recommended to those who partake in everyday outdoor activities with knives especially under extreme temperatures.
- Buyers enjoy a lifetime warranty and LifeSharp service.
- Greatly designed.
- One of the toughest knives in the market today.
- The best all-around camping knife
- The Bushcrafter 162 Knife is costly.
Fallkniven A1 Fine Edge-Fixed Blade Knife, Black
This pocket knife by Fallkniven is one of the best on the market. However, you will not have a clear picture until you look closely at its features. Our search for the best Schrade knife has landed on the Fallkniven 1A, and with impressive characteristics such as the following, we don’t understand why anybody would want anything but this knife:
- Blade length: 160mm
- Total length: 280mm.
- It comes with a Zytel sheath.
- The Fallkniven A1 has a fixed blade.
- Its blade is made from lam.vg10.
- Shipping weight: 14.4 ounces.
- Product dimensions: 12.6 X 1.8 X 2.6 inches.
Fallkniven A1 is highly recommended to buyers looking for all-purpose knives with the best features.
- Sharp and highly effective.
- Comfortable handle.
- Some may find the item too pricey.
Surviv-All Survival Knife
StartGear is another manufacturer that produces some of the best camping, rescue, and survival gear. Because buyers always want to compare items before putting money on the right one, The Cozyholic brings to your attention, another product: The Surviv-All Survival Knife.
Its features include the following:
- Ergonomic contoured handle for easy handling.
- Made in USA
- It is a full tang stainless steel blade knife.
- High drop point blade.
- Strike a magnesium fire rode against the handle to ignite a campsite fire.
- It has an integrated cord cutter.
- It also comes fitted with an integrated sharpener.
- Dimensions: 5 x 5 x 5 inches.
- Shipping weight: 14.9 ounces.
The Surviv-All Survival knife is highly recommended to anyone looking for a great outdoor utility knife that can withstand all conditions.
- Very affordable.
- Razor-sharp with a sharpener.
- It is not easy to get out the flint according to some buyers.
Conclusion: what is the best camping knife?
At the end of our reviews, we always expect many questions from buyers who are unable to make an ultimate decision or want to hear our own verdict.
At The Cozyholic we have decided the two choices that made it to the top of the list for the best camping knife are:
- Victorinox Swiss Army SwissChamp has everything you can think a pocket knife needs to have. From a screwdriver, bottle opener, pliers, to scissors, and among other features. Choose this one, and you will get a good camping knife that can satisfy any wish.
- Morakniv Companion Fixed Blade Knife is our runner-up and makes the best alternative to the first item. With it, buyers get strength, durability, sharpness, and versatility. It also comes with a sheath and is affordable compared to other knives.
We hope this review helps you find the best product you can add to your cart. Also, stay tuned to read more reviews from The Cozyholicand continue to check back so we can be your best guide.